My photo assignment this week for Canadian Gardening. See the complete post and a few thoughts about light here.
As soon as the slightest chill lingers on the air I experience a secret thrill. Soup making season has at last arrived! My personal favourite homemade soup is Chipotle Squash — the thick richness of vibrant yellow squash coupled with the peppery notes of spice are enough to drive me wild with anticipation. The best part, of course, is that this soup is ridiculously easy to make. Here’s how:
The Things You Need
- 1 butternut squash
- 2-3 small sweet potatoes
- 1 white onion
- 2 sticks of celery (optional)
- 3 medium carrots
- 2 cups of low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups of water
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup of cream (optional)
- 2 tsp chipotle pepper
What You Need To Do
1. Dice squash, sweet potatoes, celery, carrots and onion.
2. In a large deep pan melt butter and gently saute vegetables together until onion is tender.
3. Slowly add in the broth and water until vegetables are completely covered.
4. Leave to simmer for about an hour until vegetables are soft.
5. Stir in cream if desired and chipotle pepper.
6. Allow to cool slightly. Pour mixture into a blender and mix until texture is consistent.
7. Return blended mixture to pan and allow to warm up again.
8. Add in more pepper and salt to taste.
9. Serve with an artisan bread.
This recipe is brimming with Vitamin C, making it a great dish to serve to ward off those irksome winter sniffles. Try a sweet peach crisp for dessert!
Let’s slow it down a step or two today and savour a moment. Simply sit still or enjoy some snail-mail — whatever it takes to reside in the present if only for a little while.
I discovered this happy-go-lucky sign while zipping out for an afternoon latte. What a perfect way to punctuate a Friday. The imperfection of its lettering only makes it better in my opinion. Please have fun this weekend lovelies!
The best thing about summer is the enormous selection of dresses! Hop on over to Twenty York Street from some expert advice about some of the different styles!
I recently had the opportunity to shoot a few headshots for my brother who is launching his own photography and film business, Nik Benn Photography + Cinematography. Although I am of course completely biased, I can’t tell you how talented this guy is. Not only is his creative eye remarkable, but he never fails to get ‘the shot’ — whether it means climbing trees or hanging over the side of buildings. Be sure to check out his official website and browse his portfolio!